domingo, 31 de mayo de 2009

Hanging at the hostel and a day-trip to Pisac

So much for saying that I felt absolutely great up in sky-high Cuzco. After walking around the Plaza de San Blas (San Blas being the neighborhood we're staying in) and Plaza de las armas, I started to feel really queasy around lunch time. Although my stomach had been feeling off the night before, I took that as a reaction to an early morning flight and a strange sleep schedule. By one, I felt like I was heading downhill quick so I hopped a cab to the hostel and chilled out there, thinking that the altitude was really starting to get to me. Instead of walking around the city somemore and making it to dinner, I just slept for a while, hung out all day and read a lot. My roommates not feeling up to much that night either decided to stay in after dinner as well. One plus to all this was that we found an awesome telenovela called Doña Bárbara, a bitter jungle cowboy girl who is seeking revenge on men who did her wrong when she was younger. Awesome.

Luckily, I woke up this morning feeling tons better. Turns out it wasn't so much the altitude that was getting to me but the anti-altitude pills I had been taking (I stopped taking them yesterday). Feeling rejuvinated, we decided to hed to a small city called Pisac, only about a 4o minute and 60 cent bus ride from Cuzco. The city's located in a valley in the Andes and had amazing views, including terrace style farming along the mountain sides. Although there are some ruins there that we may go back for, we spent our day at their big Sunday market with tons of fresh food and mostly artisan crafts. Don't worry, I got some souveniors for those who requested.

At about 4 we made our way back to Cuzco and relaxed a bit before heading out to get some dinner, making first this pitstop at an internet cafe. The rest of the plans for tonight are to grab a bite to eat, grab a Cusqueña or two (the beer, not people), and get into bed relatively early. We've got a crack-of-dawn wake up waiting for us to go visit Machu Picchu.

2 comentarios:

  1. Altitude medicine. Always a hard choice: to throw-up or to sleep! I end up sleeping most of the time on our mountainous adventures. I discovered I had pretty bad altitude problems when I got sick in PA! I am so glad you are having a marvelous time meeting people and taking in the sites. Looking forward to your next blog.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. "only about a 40 minute and 60 cent bus ride "

    That's very sweat deal

    ResponderEliminar